The wedding was awesome. Colorful, super cool and fun! Of course I gained 10 pounds afterwards after coming back from the honeymoon…wah!!! I NEED to get back on track.
Yesterday I went cooking mama crazy and made a bunch of stuff:
Seasoned skirt steak
Stewed Pigeon Peas
Sauteed garlic spinach
Broiled Basa Fish
and I still needed to make myself breakfast and a snack this morning. Girl I’m tired! Everything came out great though! I forget to take pictures of everything. I only took a picture of the sancocho because I was so proud of myself. I made up the recipe from what I saw on the internet cause most people make a sancocho with meat. Just in case you wanna know this is my recipe!
Recipe for Fish Sancocho
2 filets of tilapia
7 to 10 shrimp
2 green plantain
1/3 butternut squash or ayuama
2 peeled potatoes diced
5 cloves garlic
Half an onion
2 teaspoons oregano
Salt and pepper
1 chicken packet
Handful of cilantro
3 tablespoons of tomato sauce
3 cups of water, more later on
- Cook the tilapia and shrimps in sofrito for about 2 minutes. We just want to get the flavors in the pot for the soup. Take out of pot.
- Put water to boil
- Add garlic and onion together with some water into a blender. Blend well. Add that to boiling water. Also add a tablespoon of sofrito. Make sure water is seasoned well with salt and pepper. Add oregano.
- Peel all the vegetables.
- Add veggies to boiling water. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Add chicken packet.
- Boil for 20 minutes on high, stirring occasionally. If vegetables are still undercooked, cook for another 15 minutes or so.
- Add cilantro, more salt and pepper to taste. Take ¼ of the mixture , puree in blender and add back to soup. This will thicken the soup. If too thick add a bit more water.
- Add fish mixture to soup and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes
- Squeeze the lime juice into the soup. Stir and serve with avocado, white rice and hot sauce!
- Serve with avocado, hot sauce and white rice. Enjoy!
Yayyyyy I love sancocho! This is for all the people who might want to make it without meat. It can still be delicious without it!